Reports/Assessments produced include:
- Housesteads Roman Fort 1974-1981 excavations, 1995
- Post-excavation assessment carried out for English Heritage according to criteria set out by Management of Archaeological Projects, English Heritage 1991 (MAP2).
- High Rochester Roman fort Documentary Assessment, 1994
- Assessment for Northumberland National Park - part of a wider research programme at the fort conducted by the Department of Archaeology, University of Newcastle upon Tyne.
- Housesteads Roman fort and vicus assessment (with J G Crow) 1994
- Survey and analysis of the archaeological deposits and post-Roman land-use, for English Heritage, Historic Properties North.
- Chester Forum Phase 2: Archaeological Research Agenda, January 1997, for Chester Archaeology
- Hadrian's Wall at Heddon-on-the-Wall, Planetrees, Brunton and Black Carts: A survey of the extent and state of preservation of archaeological remains in the guardianship of English Heritage, May 1997, for English Heritage Historic Properties (North Region).
- Hadrian's Wall at Winshields, Cawfields and Walltown: A survey of the extent and state of preservation of archaeological remains in the guardianship of English Heritage, December 1997, for English Heritage Historic Properties (North Region).
- Hadrian's Wall at Birdoswald: A survey of the extent and state of preservation of archaeological remains in the guardianship of English Heritage, August 1998, for English Heritage Historic Properties (North Region).
- Harbottle Castle: A Documentary Survey, September 1998, for the Northumberland National Park Authority.
- Thirlwall Castle: A Documentary Survey, September 2001, for the Northumberland National Park Authority.
Titles produced with Northern Heritage Consultancy Ltd. 1988-91
- Northern Heritage: Berwick upon Tweed. 1989.
- Northern Heritage: Newcastle upon Tyne. 1989.
- Newcastle Past and Present. Geoff Phillips. 1990.
- Townscape. John Grundy, Roger Burgess, David Lovie, Howard Langton and Paul Paxton.1990.
- Flashback. (with Tyne Tees Television) 1990.
- with N. CHRISTIE (1988) "Urban fortification and defensive strategy in fifth and sixth century Italy: the case of Terracina", Journal of Roman Archaeology 1: 73-88.
- with P. WINTER, D.J. MILNE and J. BROWN (1989) Northern Heritage: Newcastle upon Tyne. Newcastle upon Tyne.
- with R. CARLTON (1994) "Archaeological and ethnographic study of southern Tunisia", Archaeological Reports 1993 (Newcastle and Durham Universities) 17: 38-43.
- (1996) "North African deserts and mountains: comparisons and insights", in D. Kennedy (ed.) The Roman Army in the East (Journal of Roman Archaeology supplement no.18): 297-316.
- (2000) 'From periphery to core in Late antique Mauretania', in G. Fincham, G.J. Harrison, R. Holland & L. Revell (eds.) TRAC 99: Proceedings of the Ninth Annual Theoretical Roman Archaeology Conference Durham 1999. Oxbow Books, Oxford: 90-103.
- (2002) 'Defensores provinciae: The militarisation of frontier zone elites in C3rd Mauretania Caesariensis', in P.W.M. Freeman, J. Bennett, Z.T. Fiema & B. Hoffmann (eds.) Limes XVIII: Proceedings of the XVIIIth International Congress of Roman Frontier Studies, Amman, Jordan (September 2000). BAR International Series 1084 (I), Oxford, 349-60.
- (forthcoming) 'From Arzuges to Rustamids: State formation and regional identity in the Pre-Saharan Zone', in M.A. Handley (ed.) Late Antique and Early Medieval North Africa.
- with R.J. CARLTON, M. SIJARIC, L. BARKER and G.T. GOODRICK (forthcoming) 'The Bosnian Krajina 2001' Universities of Durham and Newcastle upon Tyne Archaeological Reports 24.
- (in preparation) Soldiers and Tribesmen: The Roman Army and Tribal Society in Late Imperial Africa. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- (ed.) (in preparation) The Grandest Station: Excavation and Survey at Housesteads Roman Fort by C.M. Daniels, J.P.Gillam, J.G. Crow, D.J. Smith and the RCHME 1954-88. (English Heritage Archaeological Report)